Friday, January 3, 2014

The Next Step in A New Mixed Media Piece

 I played around with cutting out some shapes to make my village scene and somehow a couple of sunflowers and a barn appeared… so I went with it and moved to the country.  Here are a few of the shapes I cut out…the sunflowers were cut from an old greeting card that I made…not sure if I will use them as they are a bit big…maybe in the foreground.

I plan on making a background with scraps, watercolors, soluble crayons and whatever else I find.  The best part about this process is that I can do whatever I want…the worst part is that I find out that I don't know what I am doing.

So let's see what happens.


I decided I needed 2 pieces of paper …maybe do one of those panel art pieces where you can frame each one ; yet put them side by side.  Still, thinking those sunflowers are too big.


Now I am ready to start making the background.  I put all my little cut outs in a tray and start with the mod podge.  I want to layer the background and experiment with stamping and blending.


Started to work with water-soluble crayons to damp out the white.  Working with blending and using baby wipes to do so…read that somewhere on line.  Still needs quite a bit of color and blending.


So I am going to let this be for today…which is very difficult for me.  I placed my cut outs on the background but nothing is glued on yet as I need to mull this over a bit.  I also changed a few of the shapes as I thought there was too much pattern going on. There's still so much to do, but I am not sure what.  Check tomorrow or soon after to see what happens. 

 Being new at making art, I have to learn to let it evolve.  The colors in the above photo are not the best (need to take photos in better lighting) we are having a blizzard today and snow is covering my skylight; therefore not the best lighting for my photos.
 check back to see the changes in this piece   


I am not in a hurry; and I will work on this some more tomorrow.  ... what I love about making art the most is the surprises.  One thing I know for certain,  this piece is not close to being finished … and I took a big step by posting it, well, not that big, as who out there is really looking?  Let me know if you are!

Please leave suggestions and/or comments if you are so inspired.  I would love to hear what other artists have to say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment